I've been getting a blank box while typing in the Windows search bar for the past couple days. Since I am instinctively using it as a shortcut to open apps, needless to say got pretty annoying.
The problem seems to be with the Bing search integration, and disabling it solves the issue.
Follow the steps below for a quick fix.
- Use the Windows Key + R shortcut to open Run
- Type regedit
- Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Select Software
- Select Microsoft (in the Software folder)
- Select Windows
- Select CurrentVersion
- Select Search
- Right click on the right side of the window to bring up the menu
- Click New
- Click D-WORD (32-bit) Value
- Type BingSearchEnabled and hit Enter
- Double-click the BingSearchEnabled and make sure the value is 0 (zero)
- Click OK
- Double-click the CortanaConsent and make sure the value is 0 (zero)
- Click OK
- Restart your computer
That's it. The problem should be solved.
In case you got lost in the process, you can find some visual cues below to guide you.
Check out my wife's FREE UI designs at uidesigndaily.com